The Town transfer station (formerly known as "the dump" and "the landfill") is on Clark Road, off Nettleton Hollow.
Hours are from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM daily, except closed on Thursdays and Sundays.
Please Note: The lower gate closes at 1:55 PM
Demolition loads should arrive not later than 1:30 PM to allow time for unloading and payment of fees before the 2:00 PM closing.
Resident permits are available through the Tax Collector's office or you may obtain a short-term permit for your contractor's use at the Selectman's Office.
You may also bring your recyclable items to the transfer station; see Recycling for details.
Effective November 2007, you may bring E-Waste items to the transfer station; see E-Waste Recycling for details.
Regulations and fees are detailed in the ordinance below.
Transfer Station Regulations
The town of washington has established a transfer station on the site of the former landfill at clark road. This facility is designed to expedite the handling of municipal solid waste, bulky waste, and recyclables as approved by the board of selectmen.
The following rules and regulations will apply:
- All materials deposited at the transfer station must originate within the town of washington and be from residential properties.
- Windshield stickers will be required on all vehicles. Stickers must be affixed on the lower right portion of the windshield or on the small right hand window. If the stickers are not so placed, the driver will be denied use of the transfer station. Stickers are available at the tax collector’s office.
- Special permits for out-of-town contractors may be obtained from the first selectman.
- Children under the age of 12 must remain inside vehicles at all times.
- The board of selectmen will determine the disposal fees and the type(s) of materials accepted at the transfer station. A fee schedule will be posted at the transfer station and will be based upon the current cost to the town for disposal. Fees will be payable upon delivery. Payment by check will be required for amounts in excess of five dollars. Receipts for payment will be issued prior to leaving the facility. Fees will be determined at the discretion of the attendant for amounts exceeding those posted on the fee schedule.
This amendment shall become effective November 1, 2008.
Residential Bulky Waste And Recyclables
All fees are payable upon delivery.
Loads in excess of stated limitations may be subject to an additional charge at the discretion of the attendant.
Payment by check required for all fees in excess of $5. Receipts for payment will be issued prior to leaving facility.