The Town of Washington, incorporated in 1779, was taken from Woodbury, Litchfield, Kent, and New Milford. Washington is a town of 38.7 square miles with 89.5 miles of roadway. Our population exceeds 4,000 full-time residents, approximately 550 of whom are public school students.
Washington is a socially, culturally and economically rich community supported by a host of generous, caring citizens. They contribute time and money to ensure strong educational systems, quality library services, intelligent land use planning, first-rate emergency care and a wide range of intellectual and recreational activities. Volunteers are the core of our town.
The Town of Washington encompasses the following Villages:
- Washington Depot
- Washington (or Washington Green)
- New Preston
- Marbledale (or Marble Dale)
The Town of Washington operates under a town meeting form of government, with a Board of Selectmen.