Permits & Regulations

All activities in wetlands and watercourses, or within 100 feet of wetlands and watercourses, are regulated. This means that everybody needs a permit from the IWC before starting any work in these areas. Regulated activities include, but are not limited to, cutting trees or clearing the understory, grubbing, grading, paving, excavation, filling, depositing or removing of material, discharging storm water, and all septic work within 100 feet of a wetlands or watercourse requires an Inland Wetlands permit.

Please Note: Issuance of a permit from the Health Department does not release a property owner from his responsibility to obtain the required Inland Wetlands permit.

The commission strongly advises that you that you consult the "Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Regulations of the Town of Washington, CT", (34 pages) effective February 3, 2009
And the

"Applicants Guide to Completing and Processing Applications for Inland Wetlands Permits" (4 pages) Revised April 8, 2009

Prior to beginning any project on your land that might involve a wetland or watercourse or fall within the 100 ft regulated area.