Seal: Washington, Connecticut; Founded 1779
The Town of Washington, Connecticut

Zoning Commission

Office: Lower level of Bryan Memorial Town Hall

Hours: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Telephone: 860-868-0423

Fax: 860-868-2819
Note that several departments share this fax line,
so be sure to address your document clearly!


Forms: See our Forms page for application forms

U.S. Mail Address:
Zoning Commission
Town of Washington
P.O. Box 383
Washington Depot, CT 06794

Street Address:
Zoning Commission
Town of Washington
2 Bryan Plaza
Washington Depot, CT 06794

Elected Officials: (6-year term)
• Gary Fitzherbert
• Ralph Averill
• Raymond Reich
• David Werkhoven
• Nicholas Solley, Chairman
• Harry Wyant, Alt.
• Michael G. Sivick, Alt.
• Salvatore Source, Alt.

• Janet Hill, Land Use Coordinator
• Michael Ajello, Enforcement Officer

Meeting Dates and Application Deadlines:

Meetings are generally held on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:30 PM in the Land Use Meeting Room on the lower level of Bryan Memorial Town Hall. See the Town Calendar for possible schedule exceptions, for instance because of holidays. Also be sure to check Public & Legal Notices for possible last minute schedule changes.

Minutes of previous meetings are available online.

Documents of Current Interest:

Selected public documents are available online. Other public documents are available for inspection in the Land Use Office on the lower level of Bryan Memorial Town Hall.

Zoning Regulations Online:

The Town's Zoning Regulations (100+ pages) are available in a PDF file as well as in a Word document.

Students at the University of Connecticut School of Law—with guidance from their professor, Dwight Merriam, of the law firm Robinson and Cole have created an annotated model zoning ordinance as a tool for Connecticut towns to use in modernizing their regulations. You can read a PDF File of their “Zoning Tool Box” (approximately 400 pages) here.

Other Commissions:

See our Land Use Brochure ( 16 pages) for an overview of land use in Washington.

Land use issues may involve one or more Town departments. See Land Use Commissions for general information about:

Permits Are Required:

There are two kinds of Zoning permits: those permitted by right and Special Permits. The Zoning Enforcement Officer is authorized to approve most of the applications for structures and uses in the residential districts. Uses permitted by Special Permit may only be approved by the Zoning Commission and require a public hearing.

Did You Know:

Web page last updated: Jan 3, 2014