Lake Waramaug Boat Inspection Ordinance
Disclaimer: While we have attempted to reproduce them accurately, the electronic documents you see here are not the official public documents. Official copies may be obtained on paper from the Town Clerk.
Entering Lake Waramaug at the Washington Town Boat Launch
Section 1. Definitions:
For the purpose of this ordinance, the following terms shall have the meanings set forth in this section:
- "Watercraft" shall mean any boat or other watercraft capable of carrying one or more persons on or over the surface of a lake or other waterbody and for the purpose of this ordinance shall include any motor vehicle, including any trailer or other attachment thereto, used to transport and launch a watercraft.
- "Lake" shall mean Lake Waramaug within the towns of Kent, Warren and Washington, Connecticut.
- "Boat Launch" shall mean the boat launch and beach facility owned by the Town of Washington located on Lake Waramaug adjacent to the Lake outlet in New Preston.
- "Non-native Aquatic Species" shall mean all water plants and animals which are not native to the Lake and which have the biological potential for rapid uncontrolled growth and excessive dispersion therein or which may otherwise result in environmental damage. Such species shall include, but not be limited to, Eurasian Water Milfoil, Variable Water Milfoil, Fanwort, Water Chestnut, Curly-leaved Pondweed, Egeria, Hydrilla, and Zebra Mussels.
Section 2. Inspection Required:
On or after the effective date of this ordinance no person shall place any watercraft into the lake through the boat launch, unless the following conditions are met:
- The watercraft must be inspected pursuant to procedures established by the Washington Parks and Recreation Commission, for the potential presence of non-native aquatic species, and
- If suspected non-native aquatic species are discovered during such inspection, all such species must be properly removed from the watercraft. The watercraft shall be cleaned in accordance with the procedures established by the Parks and Recreation Commission and shall be reinspected pursuant to this Section 2 before the watercraft shall be permitted to enter the Lake through the boat launch.
Section 3. Designation of Authorized Inspection Officials:
The Town of Washington shall designate one or more officials who are authorized to administer the Inspection Program according to the procedures adopted pursuant to Section 2 of this ordinance.
Section 4. Penalties for Noncompliance:
The official(s) designated pursuant to Section 3 of this ordinance may require that any watercraft placed into the Lake in violation of the provisions of this ordinance be removed immediately. Any person who places a watercraft into the Lake at the boat launch without complying with all applicable provisions of this ordinance or who shall fail to remove such watercraft in accordance with such direction shall be subject to a fine of ninety dollars ($90).
Section 5. Fees:
Fees shall be set forth as provided in Ordinance #1201 of the Town of Washington.
Section 6. Effective Date:
This Ordinance shall take effect June 16, 2002.