The Town of Washington, Connecticut
Land Use Commissions
See our Land Use Brochure ( 16 pages) for an overview of land use in Washington.
Land Use Commissions:
• Conservation Commission
• Historic District Commission
• Inland Wetlands Commission
• Planning Commission
• Zoning Commission
• Zoning Board of Appeals
The links above lead to detailed information about each Commission, including:
• Meeting dates
• Application deadlines
• When to apply for a permit
• Frequently asked questions
• Little-known land use facts
See our Forms page for application forms.
The Land Use Offices are located in the lower level of Bryan Memorial Town Hall, Washington Depot and are open 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM except for holidays and vacations. Please save yourself aggravation. Call to make an appointment or to find out whether the person you need to speak with will be in. Although the offices are open all day, many of the staff are part time or have job responsibilities, which require that they spend part of their time out in the field. Do not hesitate to call us. No question is too crazy or too trivial.
Phone and Fax Numbers:
- Inland Wetlands Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals: 860-868-0423
- Planning Commission, Historic District Commission, Zoning Commission: 860-868-0844, 860-868-0423
- Fax: 868-2819
Several departments share one fax line, so be sure to address your document clearly.
Land Use Commission Personnel and Office Hours:
All commissions file information according to STREET ADDRESS. Please provide the number and street when requesting information about a particular property.
- Shelley White: Conservation Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals secretary:
Thursday: 12:30 - 4:30 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM - 300 PM
- Janet Hill: Land Use Coordinator, Inland Wetlands Commission, Zoning Commission and Planning Commission secretary:
Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Martha Shade: Historic District Commission and Building & Health secretary:
Monday - Thursday: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Mike Ajello: Enforcement Officer:
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Friday: 9:00 AM - !2:00 PM, Wednesday: 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
And by appointment
MeetingsAll commissions meet in the Land Use Meeting Room, lower level, Bryan Memorial Town Hall, Washington Depot. Completed application forms must be submitted before noon on the Wednesday the week before a meeting in order to be listed on the agenda for that meeting.
The exceptions are:
If you have a problem meeting the above deadlines, please call the appropriate department to ask if it would be possible to accommodate you.
- Historic District Commission: Applications must be in 18 days prior to the meeting and
- Zoning Board of Appeals: Applications for variances must be in 21 days prior to the meeting.
Connecticut Zoning StatutesSee the General Statutes of Connecticut, Volume 2, Title 8, Chapter 124: Zoning